I was on the fence about signing a six or twelve week lease for my apartment. I chose six months. Here’s why:
- My job is fairly secure, but I have been itching for something new. Plus, it’s not my dream job and I am hopeful that the economy will begin to improve and that I can find something better and more challenging in the next year. I’ll outline my dream job in a future post. ;)
- My boyfriend graduates from undergrad in December. He’s talked about going to grad school, and I’d like to move closer to him if that’s the case. Or he may move up here. Either way, I don’t really want to go another year without living in the same town. January may not be that date to move, but then again maybe it will be!
- I found three other apartments in my neighborhood that are $300 less per month. Note to self: Stop thinking of that.
- It will not affect my budget any since the price is what I’ve been paying this past year.
- My mom has breast cancer. She’s doing well so far with her treatments, but in case something happened in the next few months I’d like to have the option to move closer.
- My roommate wanted it also. This apartment is not the most convenient for her to get to work, so she may want to find a closer apartment in six months
So! I will continue to pay my $660 for the next six months, update my resume, and beef up my Emergency Fund in case my life changes and I have to move. Since I like to plan my life years in advance, it’s hard not knowing what will happen. But I think signing for six months gives me flexibility and allows me to make changes if I feel that’s what is best. We shall see!