My Current Apartment Timeline:
- August 1, 2008: Move to current apartment with a one-month lease with Roommate A.
- April 2008: New Roommate D moves in and we rearrange the place to fit her for two months and an extra $400/month.
- June 2008: Roommate A moves out and D takes over the lease.
- July 31, 2009: I negotiate with the landlord and switch to a 6-month lease at the same price.
- January 31, 2010: My 6-month apartment lease runs out.
Being the responsible adult that I am, I didn’t realize that the end of this month is the end of my lease until about a week ago. Oops! I contacted my landlord and have some exciting news… I can move to a month-to-month lease now!!!
My Future with this Apartment:
- No dishwasher
- No washer/dryer (in basement)
- No garbage disposal
- One mile from metro=not the most convenient
- Could be a safer neighborhood
- There are AC units in the apt, but not my room
- I pay $660/month + electric = unheard of in this area
- Takes me 20 minutes to get to work
- Free parking for me plus any visitors
- Although we’re not friends, my neighbors are all nice
- It’s sooo cute!
Right now my plan is to not do anything until J either moves up here or gets a full-time job in the south. His parents told him he has to move out by the summer, so that’s a good deadline to find something.
Aside from J, I have mixed feelings about moving. First, I hate moving: it’s expensive and stressful and messy. I am so comfortable and lazy with where I live now so I’m in no rush. Second, this apartment is sooo cheap for this area, I will have to shop around for a really good deal to justify paying more. But depending on J’s situation (and wanting all of the things this apt can’t offer) I can see myself moving in the next year.
Anyway, this is just me over-planning things… hooray for the flexibility and freedom of month-to-month lease!