One of the hardest budget categories to keep under control is the clothing budget, especially when you follow fashion bloggers and get daily exclusive one-day only! emails from stores. And looking at Thursday’s poll, it looks I’m not alone.
Because of this great temptation clothes have on me, I have to be really careful on what I purchase. I want to get the most out of my pretty pennies and the best use of my clothes to maximize my budget. So here’s my strategy on what to spend more on, and what to buy cheaper:
- Shoes: I cannot tell you how many pairs of cheap shoes I have thrown away because they were either uncomfortable or didn’t last two seasons before breaking. There are some shoes I can buy cheap (i.e., flats), but heels, boots and tennis shoes? It’s worth paying more for these. Here at Bootbomb, they will help you find your desired shoes for any desired activity. If you would like to invest in designer label shoes, you may consider purchasing from CSD or a luxury consignment shop that offers preloved luxury items at more affordable prices.
- Basics and Work Attire: Work clothes include khakis, dress pants, pencil skirts, button-up blouses. These clothes don’t go out of style, so invest in quality pieces and they will last much longer. This also applies when shopping for the best indian clothes.
- Classic Accessories: Have you ever seen a designer bag or Tiffany’s necklace go out of style?
Spend less on:
- Some basics: This includes your basic t-shirt, camisole, underwear, socks, etc. I like to buy these items in bulk when they are on sale at Gap, Target or Old Navy. Personally I can’t tell a big difference between expensive white t-shirts and the ones you can find at Target. I do splurge on my favorite bamboo underwear for women.
- Trends: Some people may differ with me on this, but I don’t like to spend a lot of money on trends that may go out of style next season. Think colored jeans, rompers, feather hair things (never got into that one). If you want to spend your money in something you will keep using, see these body shapewear options.
- Trendy Accessories: Same as above. Bubble necklaces, hats, sunglasses from brille online, tote bags, costume jewelry — I don’t like to spend a lot of money on these things and you can normally find them affordable at places like Forever 21, H&M, Etsy or online boutiques.
Do you spend more money on trending items or basics? Do you look for the latest trends or stick with basic and traditional clothes?
This is day 13 of a 31-day series on Financial Freedom. Click here to see the page with all of the posts listed. Thanks for reading!