To me, there are two parts of summer: before July 4th and after.
Before July 4th, there’s a lightness about the season. It’s finally warm after a long spring, so you welcome the heat. You slow down, pare back your commitments. Say no to structure and yes to spontaneous summer fun.
After the 4th, however, there’s a shift in the air. It’s still obviously summer — it actually gets hotter here in North Carolina — but there’s a mental shift. I spend way more time in the air conditioned home than outside like I did in June. My brain moves from a low-key, vacation, summer-fun mode and I start to plan for the fall and long for routine. The earth even experiences the change as the days slowly start to get a little darker to prepare us for a new season.
And with the anticipation of this new season comes Back to School shopping time!
I know there are many who cringe when they see Target replace the outdoor garden section with rows and rows of pencils, but I love it. I have always loved browsing the back to school section, even though it’s been almost a decade since I have been in school.
But this year, I can finally participate! We are sending L to preschool and I am so excited about it. I think it will be good for us all. She will love learning and playing, I will enjoy a little break and time to spend with just M, and we will all benefit from adding a little structure and routine to our weeks.
I received some catalogs and emails about back to school shopping, and I thought I would share some sweet back to school treasures I found for preschoolers.
Back to school sources:
- A cute backpack — I got a backpack like this for L a few years ago. Sadly the one I got isn’t in stock anymore, but how cute is this little bunny one?
- Clothing and name label stickers — These are such good quality stickers. We bought some when L was in daycare to put on all of her bottles. Two years later, they are still in great condition!
- Lunch box — How sweet is this little bear print lunch box?
- Bento box lunch box — These are kind of pricey, but I have friends who swear by these bento boxes and they have used them for years.
- Pin board — A bulletin board for all that art work that’s going to come home with your kiddo. A bonus: it’s even pretty with no art on there. ;)
- Custom notebook — These personalized notebooks would be cute for a kid to use, but I also love the idea of journaling about your child on a custom notebook like this to later give to them when they are older. #momgoals
- A planner (for you) — You know, to keep track of schedules and plan all of the things to do when you’re kid is in school.
- Starbucks Gift Cards — A little gift card for your kid’s teacher. I love these four-pack cards to keep around for spontaneous gifts… or when you just really need a cup of coffee on-the-go but don’t want it to show up on the budget.
Ok your turn: What about you? Are you in the camp that loves or hates Back to School season?
Happy Back to School Shopping!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. I will sometimes earn a commission on sales of products I link to. This helps with web hosting and domains. Thank you for your support! :)