Autumn is my favorite season. There’s such a renewed energy in the air and I love everything it brings — harvest festivals, pumpkins, cozy sweaters, boots!
Do you ever feel afraid that a season is already passing you by before it ever begins? I’m so afraid I will get to January and realize that my favorite season went by without truly savoring it. Because of that, I try to make a fall bucket list each year in order to be intentional about the things I want to do to enjoy the season to its greatest potential.
One of the ways to help savor the season is to have opening and closer ceremonies for it. This is one of my favorite tips that I got from Kendra at The Lazy Genius — she talks about how setting an “opening and closing ceremony” will help mark the beginning and end of a season or period of time. So for me, I’ve decided M’s birthday (September 8th) will mark the end of summer and the beginning of autumn. I will buy a mum for my front porch, take down any birthday decorations and start to cozy up my home with autumn decor to welcome in the new season.
I also will make a Fall Bucket List! Even if the item is small or something I would already have on my calendar, making a fall bucket list helps ground me for the season, give me something to look forward to, and be intentional about how I spend my days.
2018 Fall Bucket List
- Have a bonfire and roast s’mores
- Pick out a pumpkin from a pumpkin patch
- Visit the NC mountains
- Drink pumpkin spice lattes and apple cider
- Bake my favorite pumpkin cookies
- Find the perfect pair of black boots
- Host a pumpkin carving party
- Take pictures of the kids in the leaves
- Watch Dan in Real Life
- Have a chili and football night
- Bake two loaves of pumpkin bread — one to enjoy and one to share
- Get our Christmas card photo taken
- Make an apple pie
- Watch You’ve Got Mail
- Decorate my front porch with mums
- Go on a nature walk with the kids and pick up acorns
- Dress up and go trick or treating
I’m excited just looking at this list. What do you want to do this autumn?